Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Apple Pie


As promised, here is a post about the apple pie that I baked for yesterday’s Labor Day BBQ. It takes a lot to top a good apple pie when it is done well. That said, it is quite easy and beats store bought pie every single time. I think the most labor-intensive part of this recipe is peeling the apples – I wish I had an apple peeler/corer! I love to add nuts to my apple pies (I did pecans for this one because I was out of walnuts) but they are totally optional.

P.S. I know this crust recipe is familiar because I posted it on my last pie entry…well get used to it because it is hands down the best pie crust ever and you should go make it RIGHT NOW.


 Ingredients:

Pie Crust:
2 ¼ cups unbleached flour
¼ tsp. salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup milk

Filling:
7 large green apples, such as Granny Smith
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 squeeze fresh lemon juice
¼ cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:
 
Pie Crust:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Mix the above ingredients together until blended.
3. Divide dough into two parts; shape each half into a round ball using your hands.
4. Place the first ball between 2 sheets of waxed paper (tip: sprinkle a few drops of water under the bottom sheet of waxed paper to keep it from moving around as you roll).
5. Flatten with a rolling pin and (slowly!) remove the top sheet of paper.
6. Use the bottom sheet of wax paper to flip the flattened crust into your pie pan, then tidy up the shape of the crust however you like.
7. Prick crust several times with a fork to prevent air bubbles.
8. Pre-bake the bottom crust on lower third of oven for 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack while preparing the filling (below).

Filling:
9. Peel and thinly slice apples.
10. Mix with sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, and nuts in a large bowl.
11. Fill prepared bottom crust with fruit mixture (after it has been pre-baked).
12. Roll out top crust, using same method to flip crust onto pie using the waxed paper.
13. Poke top crust with a fork several times to vent during baking; baste with milk and sprinkle sugar over the top.
14. Bake pie at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, then turn down the heat to 350 and bake for 45 minutes or until ready.









 Two semi-crappy photos I took at the actual BBQ - it was sunny and hard to see!

No comments: