Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Banana Cake with Honey Frosting

Aloha dear blog readers! I have to confess to you that I am writing this post from the first few days of a family vacation in Hawaii. I know, I know...what a rough life! I am so excited to be here with Stuart and my parents, soaking in the ocean views and relaxing after Stuart's second completed quarter of grad school. When I return, I plan to post all about our trip here on the island of Kauai, complete with photos. But for now, I wanted to share with you a dessert I made that channels some delicious Hawaiian flavors like banana and coconut. Introducing: banana cake with honey cream cheese frosting! 


Ingredients:

FOR THE CAKE:
1.5 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4  cup coconut oil (or canola oil)
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce (or yogurt or sour cream)
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup shredded coconut

FOR THE FROSTING:
8 oz cream cheese
3 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup or more powdered sugar (to taste)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 8x8 square dish or a 8 inch round cake pan and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients except for the sugar. Set aside.
3. In a second bowl, whisk sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla extract and applesauce together. Mash the bananas with a folk and mix into the wet ingredients. Add the shredded coconut. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.
4. Pour into your greased dish and bake for about 30-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Cool completely.
5. To make the frosting, whip the cream cheese, honey and sugar with an electric mixer until well combined and creamy. Trust me, this frosting is amazing.
6. Frost the cake as desired and enjoy!






I did a bit of very basic decorative piped frosting around the edges, but you can experiment with your own frosting decorations :)








No comments: