Sunday, April 19, 2015

Chicken Pita with Hummus & Veggies

Happy Sunday everyone! I hope your weekend has been fun and relaxing thus far. I'm having a laid back weekend at home as Stuart is attending a conference in Seattle through next Wednesday. I definitely wish I could have joined him, if only so I could revisit our old stomping grounds and binge on Mighty-O Donuts and Paseo Sandwiches. It's strange being home alone as typically I'm the one who's off traveling, working, or visiting family. Surprisingly, it's been a bit refreshing to be able to laze around, binge watch The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, go to Zumba three nights in a row, get ahead on work stuff, call all my friends, and eat super random "meals" consisting of weird snack items and leftovers. It's like I'm revisiting my "bachelorette" life!


To avoid living solely on the brown butter chocolate chip cookies I baked earlier this week, I've also been making this pita concoction lately. Nothing at all revolutionary here, but if you are looking to get out of your sandwich rut, pita bread is the answer. Smother a fluffy pita or wrap with the hummus of your choice, then top with sliced tomato, avocado, and grilled chicken breast. Add some lettuce or microgreens and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and you have an amazingly tasty meal that's also extremely healthy. You could easily make this vegetarian by omitting the chicken and swapping it out for more veggies. The customizations are endless!



Ingredients:
Pita bread
Hummus (I used Trader Joe's Three Layer Hummus)
Lettuce/Greens
Cherry tomatoes
Avocado
Grilled chicken (I used Trader Joe's pre-cooked grilled chicken with lemon)
Salt & Pepper

No comments: