Friday, March 28, 2014

A Week in Kauai

Aloha from Kauai! I am writing from our Hawaiian getaway again just because I could not wait to share a few photos from our trip thus far. Please don't hate me for posting all the beautiful vacation pictures! To be honest, it has been a bit colder than usual, as we are here during the island's rainy season. It's actually difficult to jump in the ocean most days! So, you know...you are not missing anything ;)


Despite a few rainstorms, our time on the "garden island" has been beautiful. We are staying in a family friend's timeshare on the north side of the island, in Princeville. Every day we swim in the gorgeous Hanalei Bay, which is less than a 10 minute drive from our rental. My daily routine has consists of waking up around 6:00 a.m. which is MAGICAL for me since I am incapable of waking up early in my normal California time zone. So I get to see the sun rise, eat my daily breakfast of yogurt, raspberry jam, and Anahola brand Hawaiian granola (see below) and then hit the beach, weather permitting.

Here is a little peek at what life on Kauai has been like this week...


Visiting the Kīlauea Lighthouse, which is part of a National Wildlife Refuge area

 Enjoying a fresh coconut at the Waipa farmer's market

My new breakfast obsession. Move over favorite oatmeal - this Anahola Hawaiian granola is full of addictive honey, walnuts, and coconut. The good news is that you can buy it on Amazon; the bad news is that it's twice the price as here on the island.

 We hiked the gorgeous Nā Pali Coast Trail...

And got super duper muddy. Don't worry, I washed off in a river that apparently contains dangerous parasites. If I don't post in another week, you'll know why.

Have you ever had shaved ice with ice cream underneath? It is my new favorite hot-weather treat. This was taken at Wishing Well shaved ice in Hanalei, a spot that celebs like Tom Hanks have also supposedly visited.

And finally, the mysterious Kauai chickens. These adorable little chicken families are ALL over the island, so if the sun does not wake you up, the rooster crows will. I love the baby chicks!!

No comments: