Sunday, January 5, 2014

Year in Review and Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Welcome to the New Year! While the holidays have officially come and gone for another 365 days, I am pretty darn excited for 2014. I only have to think back on all of the incredible and fun things that happened last year to get pumped up for the year ahead. Let's just do a quick 2013 year in review, shall we?

  • March - Attended a best friend's bachelorette weekend in beautiful San Diego, CA (just what my Seattle sun-starved body needed for spring break!)
  • April - Started on a path of freelancing work that provides my full-time work today; traveled to the Olympic Peninsula/Washington coast, watched above-mentioned best friend get married in Sacramento, CA
  • May - Stuart and I celebrated our 7 year "dating" anniversary  
  • June - Received my Master's degree from the University of Washington, Seattle; Stuart and I celebrated our one year wedding anniversary (!)
  • July - Traveled to Israel for two weeks (for free!)
  • August - Moved back to California; embarked on a whirlwind tour of the state to see friends and family; watched by mom (via laptop) complete the Ironman in Kona, Hawaii
  • September - Traveled to New York City (aka the best vacation ever); celebrated my mom's 60th birthday in great style; Stuart began a graduate program at Cal Poly in City Planning
  • October - I turned 27, officially entering my "late" 20s! Attended the wedding of friends in Santa Fe, NM
  • November - Hosted our first Thanksgiving at our condo with both families (lots of cooking help was provided)
  • December - Holiday, holidays, and more holidays!
Whew. What a packed year. That is not to say, of course, that this past year did not have its stressful moments and its ups and downs. However, in general I always make it a point to look at the "big picture" and remember just how good I have it!

Last January, I posted about my thoughts on resolutions and my campaign to start eating healthier. Well...my feeling have not changed much since then! I start the year yet again with the desire to shed my holiday/winter weight, make sound financial decisions, and enjoy the little moments life brings.

 

One little moment I have been enjoying lately is every bite I've had of this perfect-o Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe. I absolutely HATED broccoli as a kid and you couldn't get it near me with a 10-foot pole. Now, I almost believe my dad's favorite phrase from back then, when he used to say it was "like candy." I don't know if it's better than chocolate, but this is my new favorite soup by far - I think it even has a leg up on this carrot soup and this butternut squash soup


Ingredients

1 medium sized bunch broccoli, chopped (about 12 oz florets)
2 T butter
1 russet potato
1 yellow onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/8th tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
2 T all purpose flour
3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 6 oz)

Directions:
1.Blanch your broccoli by placing it in boiling water for 30 seconds. Immediately drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
2. In a large dutch oven, melt the butter. Peel and chop the potato into small one inch dice. Saute both the potato and the onion in the butter for about six minutes, or until the onion starts to become translucent.
3. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Then, add the cayenne and salt. Toss to coat.
4. Add the flour and stir well. Pour in the broth and add back in the broccoli florets. Stir and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the potato is tender.
5. Slowly pour in the milk and add the cheese, stirring to melt.
6. Carefully pour the hot soup into a blender and process for 10 seconds, or just until slightly smooth with just a few chunks. Pour soup back into the pot and keep warm until serving.










No comments: