Saturday, May 11, 2013

Carrot Soup with Toasted Chickpeas

Sometimes, don't you just crave a healthy dose of vegetables? Just like I sometimes (OK often!) crave something with sugar in it, other times I just want to put something that is healthy, vitamin-rich, and pure into my system. So this past week, I decided to try my hand at this carrot soup recipe from Smitten Kitchen. I've been on a carrot kick because I noticed an interesting trend - every time I start eating carrot sticks as a snack, I feel better in some way. Usually, it's a feeling like my ears are popping, and my head seems to clear up. It could be because carrots are so crunchy, or maybe it's just that - all in my head! Regardless, it's been proven that the nutrients in carrots are good for your eyesight, so crunch away.


Anyways, this soup is literally just a bunch of carrots, one onion, garlic, and vegetable broth. With a few spices added to the mix, it is an excellent meal that is super healthy -- no cream or calorie-packing ingredients to be found! If you like, you can add a scattering of toasted chickpeas (garbanzo beans) on top. I discovered that I really like the taste of this soup. It is naturally a tiny bit sweet, and you can eat it either hot or cold. Needless to say, I ate it for several meals straight!


Makes 4 large servings

Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds carrots, peeled, diced or thinly sliced
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon table salt, plus more if needed
Pinch of Aleppo pepper or red pepper flakes
4 cups vegetable broth (can substitute chicken broth)

Crisped chickpeas
1 3/4 cups cooked chickpeas, or 1 15-ounce can, drained, patted dry on paper towels
1 generous tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Directions:
1. Heat two tablespoons olive oil in heavy large pot over medium heat.
2. Add carrots, onion, garlic, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper flakes and sauté until they begin to brown, about 15 minutes.
3. Once vegetables have begun to brown, add broth, using it to scrape up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. Cover pot with lid and simmer until carrots are tender, stirring occasionally, about 20-30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat your oven to 425 degrees F. Toss chickpeas with one tablespoon olive oil, salt and cumin until they’re all coated. Spread them on a baking sheet and roast them in the oven until they’re browned and crisp. This can take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the size and firmness of your chickpeas. Toss them occasionally to make sure they’re toasting evenly.
5. Puree soup in a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth. Ladle into bowls and top with toasted chickpeas.








No comments: