Monday, September 2, 2013

Home Grown: Visiting My Parents' Garden

This week we are lucky enough to be visiting my parents in my hometown of Gardnerville, Nevada. I've been in heaven catching up on my sleep, eating satisfying home-cooked meals, and spending a few nights at our family cabin (the first and only time we've been able to visit this year). Despite the stereotyped image Nevada may have of gambling in Las Vegas, parts of Nevada are actually stunningly beautiful. Growing up, I never truly appreciated our mountain views and the 30 minute drive to crystal clear Lake Tahoe, but now Stuart and I can't get enough time here.


Another summertime draw to coming home is that my parents' garden is out of control, in the most amazing way. They could basically live off the contents of their vegetable garden entirely, or open a small grocery store. I exaggerate, but really. You would never expect that you could grow everything from corn to beets to broccoli to cantaloupes in the middle of Nevada, but somehow my dad's green thumb makes it happen, while my mom's flowers add gorgeous color around every corner. I couldn't resist sharing some photos!

 Sweet white corn
 Grapes
 Squash, onion, and tomatoes
 Best. Broccoli. Ever.
 Blackberries - we baked these babies into a delicious pie.
 Pumpkins, for Thanksgiving pies or fall decorating
 Cornstalks as far as the eye can see
 Happy, healthy chickens = the best eggs!

 Russet and Yukon gold potatoes by the barrel
 And sunflowers twice my height! Can it be summer all year round, please??







No comments: