Saturday, April 20, 2013

Apple Oven Cake

Happy weekend! While it's still cloudy and gloomy in Seattle this spring, I know that days of sunshine are not too far away. Specifically, I have some news to share - in August of this year, Stuart and I will be moving back to California! I've dropped a hint or two during previous posts, and the now official word is that Stuart was accepted to the City & Regional Planning master's program at Cal Poly, and will be beginning graduate coursework there this September. We are so excited to enjoy life on the sunny central coast, surrounded by wineries and beaches!

For some reason, I am feeling in an apple mood right now. Years ago I tore this apple oven cake recipe out of Sunset magazine, and I've loved making it ever since. It's like a lighter, more savory version of breakfast pancakes, and is perfect with a dusting of powdered sugar. Plus, it looks awesome in the pan to boot, if you would like to impress some overnight guests. It's super easy to whip up, and I hope you make it sometime soon for a leisurely weekend breakfast!


Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 sweet apple such as Fuji, peeled and sliced (I didn't bother to peel mine)
3 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon powdered sugar

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Melt butter in a 12-in. ovenproof frying pan over high heat. Add brown sugar and cinnamon, swirling to combine. Add apple and cook until just starting to soften, about 3 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a blender, whirl together eggs, salt, flour, and milk. Pour egg mixture into pan and bake until puffed and brown, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon juice and powdered sugar.






No comments: