Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pumpkin Bread

Happy (almost) Halloween! I have a confession to make: I have not had a Halloween costume or attended a Halloween party since college. I always forget to think about costume ideas until the very last minute, and by that point it just seems like too much time, effort, and money to pull something off. So, Stuart and I have "boycotted" Halloween festivities yet again this year - and by that I mean we bought a big bag of Halloween candy, watched the movies E.T. and Pirates of the Caribbean, and are crossing our fingers for at least one cute little trick-or-treater to show up on our doorstep this Wednesday.

While I may not get into Halloween mode, I am definitely jumping on the pumpkin baking craze that happens every fall. Hence, I could not resist posting the obligatory fall recipe: pumpkin bread! 


The problem with most pumpkin bread recipes is that they make two loaves, when I only want one. So I adapted the recipe from My Baking Addiction to make only one delicious loaf. I also like to add a scattering of pumpkin seeds on top for some extra crunch.

Ingredients:
1/2 can pumpkin puree (7.5 ounces)
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
Pumpkin sees (optional for garnish) 

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour one 8.5 x 4 x 2.5 inch loaf pan.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, combine pumpkin, eggs, oil, water, vanilla and sugar until well blended.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice until well combined.
4. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.




No comments: