Sunday, August 30, 2015

Panko Fish Tacos

If we are being honest, I have to admit that I am afraid of frying things. Eating fried food is one thing I am not afraid of (I'm looking at you, fried chicken and donuts), but making fried foods at home hasn't happened yet for me. The idea of filling a big pot full of oil, avoiding rogue spatters, and then figuring out how to dispose of the oil when you're done (down the drain, or not??) has caused me to avoid this particular cooking endeavor.


My answer to this has been an increasing love of panko bread crumbs. I love breading things with panko! Give me a piece of chicken and I will panko away - as evidenced in this earlier post on my favorite panko chicken, or as a key ingredient in these homemade turkey burgers. Then a while back, my favorite blog A Cup of Jo also told me that I could panko my fish! This was an even more exciting discovery, as I hate frying fish at home because if we are still being honest, cooking fish can get smelly no matter how fresh your fish is.

What can be better on a warm summer night than perfectly seasoned baked fish combined with a crisp lemony slaw? Adding guacamole and salsa is definitely a must! Find the best tortillas you can and add a margarita and we are looking at a pretty perfect evening.





For the slaw:
1/2 head of cabbage, sliced
2 carrots, grated
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. creme fraiche (or plain Greek yogurt)
2 tbsp. olive oil
Salt

For the fish
1 lb. tilapia, sliced (of fish of your choice)
1 egg, whisked
1 cup panko (find at Trader Joe's)
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. oregano
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. canola oil
8 tortillas
1 lime

1. Place sliced cabbage, grated carrots and chopped cilantro in a large bowl. Next combine lemon juice, creme fraiche, and olive oil for the dressing. Generously salt the cabbage mixture, pour in the dressing and toss everything together. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight.

2. For the fish tacos, preheat oven to 425F. Next, rinse the tilapia fillets and dry them with paper towels. Slice them into 2″ long pieces and place them onto a plate. Pour the whisked egg over the fish and make sure each piece gets covered in the egg wash. This will ensure that the panko mixture completely coats the fish. 

3. In a Ziploc bag, mix panko, paprika, thyme, oregano, cayenne pepper, salt and oil. Place your egg-coated fish into the bag, seal and shake.

4. Once the fish is coated in panko, spread the pieces onto a foil-lined sheet pan. Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes until the panko is golden brown. Wrap your tortillas in foil and throw them in the oven for the last 3 to 5 minutes of baking.

No comments: