Thursday, September 4, 2014

Turkey Burgers with Spinach and Goat Cheese

Once of my favorite meals for a long time has been the homemade Veggie Burgers I posted about earlier this summer. As I mentioned in that post, there is something so unappetizing to me about a store-bought patty of any sort. Veggie patties are bland and boring, while even pre-made hamburger patties are lackluster compared to the ones you can make as home, complete with your own selection of chopped onion, garlic, and secret spices!


The same theory above applies to turkey burgers. I don't think I've ever ordered a turkey burger at a restaurant or bought a frozen turkey patty from the grocery story. But when I saw this amazing recipe on one of my favorite food blogs, Eat Live Run, I knew I had to try it. These are everything a burger should be, but without the guilt due to the nice lean turkey meat and creamy goat cheese. The extra bonus? You can whip these babies up in about 20 minutes, definitely under half an hour. I like to serve mine with sweet potato french fries and loads of ketchup!


Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey
1 egg, lightly beaten
5 oz frozen spinach, defrosted (half a bag)
1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
2 tsp Tony Chachere’s seasoning ($3-4 at the store)
hamburger buns for serving
ketchup/mustard/lettuce/tomato for serving
sweet potato fries (optional)

Directions:
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey, egg, defrosted spinach, bread crumbs and seasoning. Mix well until all ingredients are incorporated. Add the goat cheese and mix again until combined.

2. Heat up a pan over medium heat. Add a drizzle of oil to the bottom of the pan.

3. While the pan is heating up, form 4-6 patties out of the turkey mixture. Cook the patties in the pan for about 6 minutes per side, or until juices run clear. Serve with toasted buns and any additional toppings desired.

 




I hope you enjoy a last summer "hurrah" with these tasty burgers!


No comments: