Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Goshi Japanese Restaurant

I have a confession to make... I don't like sushi. I know, I know, that is pretty unbelievable. I guess everyone has that one culinary "thing" they just can't bring themselves to enjoy eating, and for me that has always been raw fish and shellfish. That is correct - no crab, lobster, shrimp, clams, scallops, or raw sushi goes into my mouth. Something about the texture just does not work for me. My family members always tease me that I just won't eat anything with an exoskeleton!


However, just because I don't like sushi doesn't mean I don't enjoy Japanese food. When I was younger, chicken teriyaki was my jam. These days, I am always on the lookout for creative cooked sushi rolls, veggie rolls, tempura, or other tasty dishes that allow me to enjoy the amazing flavors of Japanese food when I go with a group of friends or family. In San Luis Obispo, we are lucky to be close to the coast so fresh seafood ingredients are possible to come by.

Our absolute favorite Japanese spot in town is Goshi Japanese Restaurant, and other spots we've been to in the area simply pale in comparison. They have a wonderful selection and are always packed. Since they don't take reservations, we usually end up putting our name in and walking around for 30 minutes or so while we wait for a table to open. Stuart swears the raw sashimi and nigiri options are to die for, and I've even found two cooked rolls that suit my picky dietary specifications.

What are your thoughts on sushi? Are there any foods you simply won't eat?







No comments: