Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Caprese Salad with Burrata and Nectarines

Can you believe it is mid-July already? I for one am having trouble processing how fast 2014 is speeding along. However, there is a huge bonus to the fact that it is July and that is...stone fruit season!! Some of my absolute favorite fruits and vegetables come into season in the high summer, and delicious peaches and nectarines and ripe juicy tomatoes are just a few of them. At no other time of the year is it easier to aim for your "daily quota" of fruits and greens, because everything is just asking to be picked and eaten.


I thought I would experiment a bit this week with the classic Caprese Salad. While you can't go wrong with traditional caprese, I thought I would spice things up a little with some new ingredients. I have been intrigued with burrata cheese for a while now and knew that I wanted to incorporate it into a salad. For those of you who are unfamiliar with burrata, it is essentially a form of mozzarella cheese that is solid mozzarella on the outside, with cream in the center. It has an amazing soft texture and is just perfect on this salad. I think I'll be subbing burrata for normal mozzarella for the rest of my life! They sell a version at Trader Joe's that is excellent.


The next step was to add some nectarines to the salad for sweetness. All I can say, to quote the pop icon Britney Spears, is gimme gimme more...

Ingredients:
Tomatoes
White nectarines
Burrata cheese
Basil
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper


 


Tonight, I'm going to continue on the stone fruit craze and make these Stone Fruit Pork Chops. And later in the week, I've stocked up on the last of the season's apricots so I can make my all-time favorite Apricot Pie





No comments: