Sunday, November 17, 2013

Homemade Honey Roasted Peanut Butter

Happy weekend! This is indeed a happy weekend for me, and I will tell you why. Or perhaps you already know why, if you happened to read the title of this post: Homemade. Honey Roasted. Peanut Butter.



That's right folks, my days of having the peanut butter palate of a five-year-old and secretly only liking Jiffy creamy peanut butter are over. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Jiff (remember those adorable commercials?!), but from now on homemade is the way to go. This post is made possible by my recent acquisition of a Cuisinart food processor. Thanks to a generous birthday gift card to Sur La Table, a shiny 9 cup food processor now calls my kitchen counter home. In the past week, I have made the above mentioned peanut butter, salsa, and tuna salad; later this week I plan to make pesto, pizza dough, and hummus. I'll keep you posted on the results!

But for now, I think this purchase will definitely be worth it if I can supply myself in homemade peanut butter for the rest of my life. Three ingredients and a food processor-like gadget are all you need.


Ingredients:
3 cups roasted peanuts
1 tbsp. or more honey
2 teaspoons peanut or vegetable oil

Directions:
1. Add peanuts and honey to the work bowl of a food processor and turn on for 1 minute. Remove the lid and press the peanuts back down along the sides using a spatula. Replace the lid and turn food processor back on for an additional 1-2 minutes. Repeat with spatula if needed. The consistency of the peanuts will change, slowly forming a rough ball shape.
2. After about two minutes, slowly drizzle 1-2 teaspoons vegetable oil into the food processor while it is running. Process until smooth, about 1-2 more minutes.
3. Adjust flavor as desired by adding more honey, salt, or even a pinch of cinnamon or cocoa powder.
4. If you prefer chunky peanut butter, add another handful of peanuts in at the end and pulse a few times to roughly chop.
5. Place peanut butter in an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 2 months.







Enjoy!


No comments: